You are now on day 9 of 100 days android app development challenge for beginners. I hope you had fun with the previous challenges.
New update about this android challenge
I have received lots of feedback from participants and many people. The general consensus was that the initial challenges are very simple and easy. Beside, participants want something more challenging which will also look like a project.
I have slightly increased the difficulty level starting from Day 8. If you feel that any of the challenges is too hard for a beginner, kindly contact me or leave a message in the comment section.
So lets proceed with today’s challenge.
Aim of this Challenge – Populate Android Spinner with SQLite Database
To learn how to create SQLite database and using the data stored in a table to populate a spinner.
Task Requirements for this Challenge
1. Create a local SQLite database and name it spinner_database
2. Create a table in the database and name it spinner_data. The spinner_data table will contain two columns – id and food_name. Id will be of data type int while the food_name will be of data type String / Text.
3. In the activity layout file, add a spinner view widget.
4. Write a program that insert an initial values to the table created above.
5. When the application starts, read the values in the database table and use it to populate the spinner view in the Activity class.
What happens when you are done?
Like I said in the instruction, you can host your solution on Github, bucket or Pastebin and share the link in the comment section with everybody.
I usually go through each link and let the owner knows where to improve or modify if need be.
What if I have a question during a challenge?
We are all here to learn and improve. Feel free to ask questions that are related to the task in question. There are many people out there that will help your out.
Why should I take part in this challenge?
If you want to improve and get better with your android development knowledge and skill as a beginner this might be a right decision for you.
This will also give you the opportunity to connect to like-mind android developers around the world.
Now is time to start
If you are high in spirit and motivated then hit the start button of your android IDE.